Sunday, February 24, 2008

Small, Personal Steps of Conversion

Judy and I are now making decisions based upon wants and needs. It’s not hard. But we started some years ago so it’s been a gradual process. We decided we didn’t need the house, so we sold it. We’ve given some money away and are trying to pay down debts to reach that freedom of thought that only comes without them. We had planned on sailing round Cuba this spring with a friend but canceled. It was a want. I hope to sail across the Atlantic this summer with a friend - a need. I took my van off the road and am now only using a bike and the T.T.C. It was hard to give away that power. But it feels good and I’m keeping in better shape because of the biking. A real win-win decision.

Life has never been better. Choices are so much more fun and even easier to make. I bought Judy a nice hat yesterday. It was definitely a want. A want on my part more than hers. I recognized it for what it was and it made it the more special. We can all live with so much less than we’re supposed to! It feels so good to laugh at the adds on TV. And it seems even sadder to see people taking them right in. And seeing the children being raised as they are.
But my life has never been so good!

Not that I'm suggesting that any others need to make the specific choices we have. It would benefit few if five million people in the Toronto area decided to live on boats! But I hope others will learn to live asking the same questions. What are needs and what are merely wants? And give away most of the money (power) saved to help meet real needs of others. Believe me, it is the only way to really live!

“Do not wear yourself out trying to get rich.” - Jewish proverb

“We may not all be guilty, but we are all responsible.” - Neil Bissonbath

No comments: